Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 278- Keep Mama In The Picture

There is an article being passed around right now on Facebook called, "Keep Mama In The Picture" by a lady named Allison Tate. (Edit: Ok, it's actually called, "The Mom Stays In the Picture".) She explains how we Moms often avoid being in pictures with our children because we don't like how we look. Here is what she has to say about it:

We need to stop that right now, she said. We must get ourselves into the picture because "our sons need to see how young and beautiful and human their mamas were. Our daughters need to see us vulnerable and open and just being ourselves -- women, mamas, people living lives. Avoiding the camera because we don't like to see our own pictures? How can that be okay?"

"I want to be in the picture, to give them that visual memory of me. I want them to see how much I am here, how my body looks wrapped around them in a hug, how loved they are."

 "I am not perfect to look at, and I am not perfect to love, but I am perfectly their mother."

This really resonated with me. I may not be winning any beauty pageants, but there is nothing more beautiful than than the love I have in my heart for my daughter. I want Nora to always know without a shadow of a doubt that no child was ever loved and cherished by their mother any more than she was.

Trying to make Nora laugh.
Giggly kisses!
True Love.

Self-portraits before bed time since Nora's daddy is working tonight.

5 comments:

  1. You look beautiful, and this is a great idea. :) I need to do this too, I know that if I'm not in more photos, I'll regret it down the line. Good job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liane. I can't tell you how many pictures I've deleted from our camera over the past 18 months because I didn't like how I looked in them. Perfectly captured REAL moments in our lives erased because of my self-consciousness. I can't promise "no more" but I want to make a more purposeful effort to be in pictures with Nora instead of passing her off to Brad and staying behind the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...a great gift to Nora in the blog book that is coming. Mom needs to be in there more!!! Beautiful..as I said this summer...beautiful you are, always to me.

    ReplyDelete